As most of you know (or can tell by reading this entry), I’ve switched my site from a basic HTML website to a blog site. I’ve done this for many reasons but the number one reason was to interact more with my clients and other virtual assistants. By having a blog site, I can provide fresh content in an easy to read format. You visit this page, you can read the blog entries or you can navigate to the other pages.
Since I have done this, I have been approached by three of my clients to create a blog site for them. Now, I’m not just talking about installing WordPress or signing them up for TypePad or Blogger so they can have a blog – I’m talking about their entire site being setup on a blog. In all three cases their blog of choice was WordPress. I am so excited to do this as I am absolutely loving every aspect of my new site.
So, why should you create a blog site? There are many reasons why but here are my top five (in no particular order):
(1) Easy Web Publishing: no messing around with HTML, no dull and lifeless pages and a reason for people to come back! By having the ability to “post” fresh new content to your site whenever you like, people will always find a reason to come back to your site for more.
(2) Higher Search Engine Ranks: search engines L-O-V-E blogs. They live for fresh content and websites that are being updated frequently. In fact, if you look at some of the hottest ranked blogs, you’ll see that they post content regularly. The way a post is set up is also very easy for search engines to read so it’s indexed better.
(3) Lower Costs: this one is my favorite! I pay for web hosting and my web hosting provider has Cpanel which contains Fantastico which equals FREE WORDPRESS BLOG! Better yet, the WordPress blog is really easy to manipulate if you know a bit of HTML. This whole blog site was put together by yours truly and didn’t cost me a dime (except for my time!)
(4) Builds Credibility : When people see you posting about things that you have knowledge on, it allows them to form a relationship with you – get to know you on a more personal level. If you arrive at Jane Doe’s website and the content is old, stale, boring and rigid, there is nothing there to let the visitor get to know you and want to find out more.
(5) Mass Messaging: Now when you have something to say, you can say it to the world! No need to worry about e-mailing all of your clients about being out of the office… just blog it! Find a really cool piece of software that you want to share with your friends? Blog it! The possibilities are endless.
Those are just some of the great ways you can use a blog site. If you want to learn more about changing your current site over into a blog site, contact me at email@example.com. I’d love to work with you to get your blog site setup (and it won’t cost you a fortune!)
Erin Blaskie has been in the virtual assistance industry for over 6 years. Having built her multiple six figure VA practice from the ground up, she offers her support and guidance to her fellow VAs in many areas. Find Erin on Twitter at @ErinBlaskie.